The Milwaukee Academy of Science was established in the year 2000 at the beginning of the charter school movement in Milwaukee. The idea for our school came from a need in the community to address a significant gap in minority achievement in the health sciences.
At the time T. Michael Bolger, the President of the Medical College, discovered that less than 1% of the matriculates at MCW were minority students from Milwaukee. Working with presidents of local universities and community members, the board of directors opened a K-8 school on the site of the old Milwaukee Hospital at 20th and Kilbourn.
In 2007, we expanded our grades to K4-12 allowing us to serve over 1,000 students on the campus. Many years later, Milwaukee Academy of Science continues to carry out T. Michael Bolger’s vision for equity, learning and excellence in the health sciences. The mission of the Milwaukee Academy of Science, an exemplary leader in STEM education, is to graduate urban students prepared to compete successfully at the post-secondary level.
T. Michael Bolger (1939-2018) left an incredible legacy in the Milwaukee Academy of Science and we are honored to carry out his vision and mission.